ADS 2018 Six-Month Highlights Report is Out!
Who we are: Amsterdam Data Science is a network for shared research and education in data science and artificial intelligence across knowledge institutes and industry. Originally a partnership of four Amsterdam knowledge institutes: AUAS, CWI, UvA, and VU, ADS currently comprises 14 partner organisations of which ten are academic and four are industry partners:
– Faculty of Digital Media and Creative Industries, Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (AUAS) (joined 2014)
– Centrum Wiskunde en Informatica (CWI) (2014)
– Amsterdam Business School and Amsterdam School of Economics, Economics and Business, University of Amsterdam (UvA) (2016)
– Informatics Institute, UvA (2014)
– Computer Science, Vrije Universiteit (VU) Amsterdam (2014)
– Elsevier (2018)
– Qualogy (2018)
– Amsterdam Center for Business Analytics (ACBA), VU Amsterdam (2017)
– Amsterdam Center for Entrepreneurship (ACE) (2018)
– Faculty of Physical Activity, Sport and Nutrition, AUAS (2018)
– Faculty of Technology, AUAS (2018)
– Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, UvA (2018)
– Innovation Center for Artificial Intelligence (ICAI) (2018)
– KPN B.V. (2018)
Summary: ADS has continued to grow with new knowledge institutions and industry partners joining our ecosystem. Our 2017 report can be viewed here and the 2016 report here. All reports also update on the highlights from the Amsterdam Academic Alliance Data Science (AAA-DS) programme, a joint initiative with ADS (see table). In 2018 so far, four industry and four academic partners have joined, thus broadening our network and making ADS sustainable beyond the AAA funding.
2018 highlights in brief
Research: Strengthening the Amsterdam knowledge institution collaborations
– New ADS Partners: See list above, new partners in 2018 are shown in bold. In January 2018 we opened our network for industry partners to join also. This has resulted in four new partnerships with Elsevier and Qualogy (Gold partners), and ACE and KPN (Bronze).
– ADS Labs: In April the Artificial Intelligence for Retail Lab (AIRLab) was launched. This is a collaboration between ICAI and Ahold Delhaize. There are now eight labs within the ADS ecosystem.
– International collaborations: With Insight (data science research centre, Ireland) we hold an MoU, and in the coming months three new joint PhD projects will commence (fully funded by Science Foundation Ireland). The students will spend up to one year of their PhD in Amsterdam.
ADS awarded five joint exchanges for Postdocs and PhD’s with Ireland and China. Two of these have taken place in the last six months, with one PhD student visiting Amsterdam for 2 months from Insight, and one ADS PhD student visiting Tsinghua for 3 months, helping to cement further collaborations.
– AAA Award to UvA (Informatics) and VU (Computer Science) has enabled strong and fruitful joint collaborations. UvA host 8 postdoc/PhD’s and VU 8, with the projects involving multiple research domains (business, humanities, informatics, life sciences and social sciences) and regional partners: AUAS, CWI, VUmc, ORTEC and Philips. Thus, truly multi-disciplinary and organisation spanning. The original award of 3.069K has been more than tripled over the past few years with many new projects initiated as a result of the original funding.
Read the full report HERE
Photos from our events
Career Fair in February 2018 attended by 20 companies and over 200 students
Meetup Event on 28 June – Data Science Startup Pitch Event
Meetup Event on 09 January: Deep Dive into Deep Learning in Medical Imaging
The Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and Data Science Center (DSC) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) are joining forces in a new joint fellowship for (teams of) researchers interested in exploring the intersection of data science and other disciplines. The first fellow of the new program, Dr. Davide Ceolin, will start his fellowship at the IAS on June 17. Ceolin is currently affiliated with CWI.
Nanda Piersma, lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences (AUAS), has been appointed as a crown member of the Social and Economic Counsil (SER). This is the first time that a lecturer has been appointed as member of the SER. Nanda Piersma was approached because of her expertise in the field of digitisation.
The ADS Thesis Awards aim to promote excellence in Data Science and AI from students at BSc and Master level. The Awards are open to students from all Amsterdam-based knowledge institutes.