Amsterdam Data Science 2017 Report
2017 has been a highly active period for Amsterdam Data Science (ADS) with many key goals achieved. Our network organisation has continued to grow with new knowledge institutions joining, collaborations with industry established, and a broadened international network. This report summarises our continued growth and our heightened involvement within the Amsterdam region (our 2016 report can be viewed here). The report also updates on highlights of the Amsterdam Academic Alliance Data Science (AAA-DS) programme, as we become one joint initiative.
2017 Highlights (in brief)
- New ADS Partners: Faculty of Sports and Nutrition (AUAS); Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Economics and Business, Amsterdam Center for Business Analytics (VU)
- New ADS Labs and company collaborations with Bosch (Germany), the Police (NL), and VIVAT (NL)
- Collaboration agreements signed with international knowledge institutes: Insight (Ireland’s data science research centre) and Tsinghua University (China)
- Awarded five joint international exchanges for PhD and postdocs with our collaborators in Ireland, Tsinghua and Wuhan
- Joint professor appointment in Urban Analytics between ADS partners AUAS and CWI
- Launch event of the Amsterdam School of Data Science (March 2017, 400+ attendees)
- Launch of the Amsterdam Data Science Minor (September 2017, course over-subscribed)
- Double increase in student numbers for the Data Science Master Track
- Received the highest public vote at the Computable Awards for ICT Educator of the Year
- Hosted 34 Meetups for students, researchers and industry experts on a range of data science topics (23 Amsterdam Data Science, 11 from Search Engines Amsterdam) with an average of 100 up to 250 visitors each meetup. Including our end of year highlights event where we had 15 x four minute presentations from our partners
- Series of articles in ‘Het Financieele Dagblad’ on ADS collaborations with Elsevier, Tata Steel, Qualcomm, Sandd, Philips and Databricks
- Our Lab with the National Police lab featured heavily in national media outlets
- Significant activity on online communication channels: Newsletter (+1.000); LinkedIn (+300); Twitter (+1.000); Facebook (+100)
If you would like to view the full report please click Amsterdam Data Science 2017 Report
The Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and Data Science Center (DSC) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) are joining forces in a new joint fellowship for (teams of) researchers interested in exploring the intersection of data science and other disciplines. The first fellow of the new program, Dr. Davide Ceolin, will start his fellowship at the IAS on June 17. Ceolin is currently affiliated with CWI.
Nanda Piersma, lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences (AUAS), has been appointed as a crown member of the Social and Economic Counsil (SER). This is the first time that a lecturer has been appointed as member of the SER. Nanda Piersma was approached because of her expertise in the field of digitisation.
The ADS Thesis Awards aim to promote excellence in Data Science and AI from students at BSc and Master level. The Awards are open to students from all Amsterdam-based knowledge institutes.