Vacancies: 3 PhD positions – Efficient Deep Learning at VU
Opening: 3 PhD student positions on Efficient Deep Learning
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Department of Computer Science
The NWO-TTW program Efficient Deep Learning (EDL) combines Dutch experts from the Machine Learning and the Computing communities. The program starts mid 2018 and funds about 25 new research positions (mostly PhD students), who will work together with a variety of companies.
Within EDL, project P1: Deep Learning as a Service (DLaaS) studies how to develop a service for EDL that makes the application of Deep Learning algorithms less cumbersome. From a scientific point of view, this project is a collaboration between Vrije Universiteit (VU), the University of Amsterdam (UvA), TU Eindhoven, and the Netherlands eScience Center (NLeSC). The techniques that will be developed in this project will be applied in various case studies at companies. The companies participating in P1 are: ING Bank NV, Semiotics Labs, Schiphol, Océ, SURFsara, and Mobiquity Inc.
Vrije Universiteit is looking for three PhD students within the P1 project:
• Study regime transitions and anomaly detection in the financial sector, including smart maintenance of ICT infrastructure and trading & risk in financial markets.
• VU/UvA/NLeSC, part-time at ING bank
• Services for Large-scale On-line Video Surveillance, focusing on using large scale High Performance Computing to speed up the machine learning
• VU/UvA, part-time at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
• Study the development of DL algorithms for time series of sensory data with limited availability of labeled data as part of the aforementioned service. In addition, develop ways to gain insight into the learned concepts within the networks.
• VU, part-time at Semiotic Labs.
For further information on all the above vacancies please see the VU website HERE
CWI spin-off company DuckDB Labs helped create startup MotherDuck which aims to connect DuckDB to the cloud. MotherDuck sports some big names: its CEO is Jordan Tigani, founding engineer at Google’s BigQuery, Google’s fully managed data analysis platform. A big part of the $47.5 million funding comes from Andreessen Horowitz, a prominent venture capital firm, specialized in technology startups.
Breaking ground as the first international conference on Hybrid Human Artificial Intelligence, HHAI22 held its first-ever in-person meeting in Amsterdam in the summer of 2022, establishing the beginnings of an international research community. ADS contributed to the conference by hosting a Meetup around the topic of Hybrid Intelligence.
There are legal rules and ethical frameworks, but little or no practical guidance on responsible design. In her inaugural lecture “System error, please restart”, Nanda Piersma argues what ‘responsible’ means and how we can carry out the (further) development of IT systems in such a way that they earn our trust.