The UvA Data Science Center announces 7 new interdisciplinary data science PhD positions
The DSC seeks to accelerate data-driven research within the University of Amsterdam. Part of that mission is to foster interdisciplinary research. Specifically, this programme aims to foster research into new data science methods that help to tackle hard challenging problems in a given domain.
The DSC is providing funding for seven PhD students to perform the research at this interaction. Such interaction is realized through joint supervision: one supervisor with core expertise in data science methods, the other with core expertise in the domain problem.
The Successful Projects
The projects are collaborations from across the University and include all seven faculties. The projects are:
- The GPU Dentist: Instilling Domain Knowledge in Deep Networks through Hyperbolic Geometry
The project is a collaboration between Dr. Erwin Berkhout (Academic Center for Dentistry Amsterdam) and Dr. Pascal Mettes (Faculty of Science).
- Building better vision models using pre-cortical inductive biases
The project is a collaboration between Dr. Iris Groen (Faculty of Science) and Dr. Steven Scholte (Faculty of Social and Behavioural Science)
- Perceiving through the language lens: an interdisciplinary data-driven approach to language-perception interaction
The project is a collaboration between Dr. Monique Flecken (Faculty of Humanities) and Dr. Conrado Bosman (Faculty of Science).
- A novel empirical and data-driven hybrid approach for analysing legal risks, their causes and impact in decentralised techno-social systems
The project is a collaboration between Dr. Balazs Bodo (Faculty of Law) and Dr. Zhiming Zhao (Faculty of Science).
- Natural Language Processing and Responsible Data Management for Mental Health Research
The project is a collaboration between Dr. Iacer Calixto (Amsterdam University Medical Center), Dr. Sebastian Schelter and Prof. Paul Groth (Informatics Institute, Faculty of Science).
- Innovation genome: Discovering the secret ingredients of successful innovations in the cultural industries and science using geometric deep learning and visual analytics
The project is a collaboration between Prof. Nachoem Wijnberg, Dr. Monika Kackovic, Dr. Stevan Rudinac (Faculty of Economics and Business) and Prof. Marcel Worring (Faculty of Science).
- Optimal CO2 conversion by inverse design
The project is a collaboration between Dr. Bernd Ensing, Dr. Shiju Raveendran (Van ‘t Hoff Institute for Molecular Sciences, Faculty of Science) and Prof. Max Welling (Informatics Institute, Faculty of Science).
The Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and Data Science Center (DSC) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) are joining forces in a new joint fellowship for (teams of) researchers interested in exploring the intersection of data science and other disciplines. The first fellow of the new program, Dr. Davide Ceolin, will start his fellowship at the IAS on June 17. Ceolin is currently affiliated with CWI.
Nanda Piersma, lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences (AUAS), has been appointed as a crown member of the Social and Economic Counsil (SER). This is the first time that a lecturer has been appointed as member of the SER. Nanda Piersma was approached because of her expertise in the field of digitisation.
The ADS Thesis Awards aim to promote excellence in Data Science and AI from students at BSc and Master level. The Awards are open to students from all Amsterdam-based knowledge institutes.