Maastricht Summer School | Introduction to Data Science
This course will make use of lectures and practical assignments organised as follows:
- Lecture: Introduction to data science
- Practical: Introduction to programming in Python: This session will give you the basic skills to program in Python. By the end of this session the student will have gained familiarity with programming and will be able to perform simple data processing in Python.
- Lecture: Introduction to data, data manipulation and visualization
- Practical: Data manipulation and visualization: During this session, the steps of data exploration, selection, cleaning and transformation will be performed via a hands-on assignment.
- Lecture: Introduction to Machine Learning
- Practical Machine Learning: In this session students will be shown hands on examples on how to perform a Logistic Regression and how to use Naive Bayes Classifiers.
- Lecture: Responsible Data Science
- Practical: Responsible Data Science: This session will cover how to apply the principles presented in the associated lecture to create data analysis processes that are well-structured, that can be replicated, and that treat sensitive data appropriately.
Course Duration and Dates
This is a two week course running from the 14th of June until the 25th of June, 2021. The assignment will take place on Monday 28 and Tuesday 29 June. The course will take place online.
The number of credits earned after successfully concluding this course is the equivalent of 4 ECTS according to Maastricht University’s guidelines. For further information see the MSS terms and conditions.
- Getting familiar with the data science lifecycle;
- Using Python as a programming language to perform data analysis tasks;
- Becoming familiar with the data manipulation process and how to achieve this in Python;
- Getting introduced to basic machine learning algorithms and in their application;
- Understanding data interpretation and visualization tools;
- Understanding responsibly principles in data science projects.
Dr. Visara Urovi together with: Dr. Linda Rieswijk, Thales Bertaglia and Dr Alfonso de la Vega.
- Familiarity with datasets (e.g., in Excel)
- Being Tech-savvy
The course is entirely self-contained. Slides and python notebooks will be provided. To make use of Python Notebooks you will be instructed how to set up python in your device.
Visit the Maastricht Summer School website to apply.
The ADS Thesis Awards aim to promote excellence in Data Science and AI from students at BSc and Master level. The Awards are open to students from all Amsterdam-based knowledge institutes.
On the 22nd of September LAB42 will host its Grand Opening from 15:00 onwards. LAB42 is an international hub for developing talent in the fields of digital innovation and AI. The building is the result of a partnership between the UvA, the municipality of Amsterdam and the business sector.
The UvA Data Science Centre, part of the University Library, is pleased to host its second yearly Data Science Day on the 13th of October 2022.