Dutch-Belgian Information Retrieval (DIR) Workshop – Call for Papers
Hilversum, The Netherlands, 24 November 2017
DIR 2017 aims to serve as an international platform (with a special focus on the Netherlands and Belgium) for exchange and discussions on research & applications in the field of information retrieval as well as related fields. We invite quality research contributions addressing relevant challenges. Contributions may range from theoretical work to descriptions of applied research and real-world systems. We especially encourage doctoral students to present their research.
This year’s edition is co-organized by the CLARIAH project that is developing a Research Infrastructure for the Arts and Humanities in the Netherlands. Use cases in this infrastructure cover a wide range of IR related topics. To foster discussions between the IR community and CLARIAH researchers and developers, DIR2017 organizes a special session on IR related to data-driven research and data critique.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
* Complex Search Scenarios and Tools
* IR for Digital Humanities
* Fairness, Transparency and Responsible IR
* Document Representation and Content Analysis
* Queries and Query Analysis
* Retrieval Models and Ranking
* Search Engine Architectures and Scalability
* Users and Interactive IR
* Filtering and Recommending
* Web IR and Social Media Search
* IR and Structured Data
* Multimedia IR
* Search applied to the Internet of Things
* IR for social good
* Other Applications (digital libraries, enterprise search, genomics IR, legal IR, patent search, text reuse, new retrieval problems)
We accept three types of submissions:
* Novel contributions: research papers describing original research that has not yet been presented to a wider audience (max 4 pages ACM proceedings format).
* Research dissemination: proposals to present research, which has already been published in high-impact venues (max 1 page ACM proceedings format).
* Demos and tools: prototypes and applications that demonstrate an approach for dealing with the complexity of an IR scenario, for example in the context of data driven research in CLARIAH (max 1 page ACM proceedings format).
See also http://dir2017.nl/index.php/cfp/ for submission details.
* Submission Deadline: October 15, 2017
* Acceptance Notifications: November 1, 2017
* Workshop: November 24, 2017
The Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and Data Science Center (DSC) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) are joining forces in a new joint fellowship for (teams of) researchers interested in exploring the intersection of data science and other disciplines. The first fellow of the new program, Dr. Davide Ceolin, will start his fellowship at the IAS on June 17. Ceolin is currently affiliated with CWI.
Nanda Piersma, lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences (AUAS), has been appointed as a crown member of the Social and Economic Counsil (SER). This is the first time that a lecturer has been appointed as member of the SER. Nanda Piersma was approached because of her expertise in the field of digitisation.