Amsterdam Data Science 2017 – Six-Month Report
In brief, our highlights:
– New collaborations: Bosch, Insight Ireland, National Police, Tsinghua University
– Launch: Amsterdam School of Data Science
– Launch: Amsterdam Data Science Minor
– Triple increase in numbers: Data Science Master Track
– ‘Het Financieele Dagblad’ article series on our collaborations: Elsevier, Tata Steel, Qualcomm, Sandd, Philips, Databricks
– Events: Hosted 20 Meetups
Want to know more? You can view the full report here: Amsterdam Data Science 2017 Six-Month Report
You can see our 2016 Year Report here: ADS 2016 Report
CWI spin-off company DuckDB Labs helped create startup MotherDuck which aims to connect DuckDB to the cloud. MotherDuck sports some big names: its CEO is Jordan Tigani, founding engineer at Google’s BigQuery, Google’s fully managed data analysis platform. A big part of the $47.5 million funding comes from Andreessen Horowitz, a prominent venture capital firm, specialized in technology startups.
Breaking ground as the first international conference on Hybrid Human Artificial Intelligence, HHAI22 held its first-ever in-person meeting in Amsterdam in the summer of 2022, establishing the beginnings of an international research community. ADS contributed to the conference by hosting a Meetup around the topic of Hybrid Intelligence.
There are legal rules and ethical frameworks, but little or no practical guidance on responsible design. In her inaugural lecture “System error, please restart”, Nanda Piersma argues what ‘responsible’ means and how we can carry out the (further) development of IT systems in such a way that they earn our trust.