ADS Thesis Awards deadline for nominations extended
The ADS Thesis Awards aim to promote excellence in Data Science and AI from students at the Bachelor and Master level in all Amsterdam-based knowledge institutes. Now open for thesis nominations that present exciting and innovative work in the area of Data Science and/or AI research. The deadline for nominations is
15th September 2020 22nd September 2020.
Amsterdam Data Science (ADS) is now open for nominations for the inaugural ADS Thesis Award 2020 for the academic year 2019-2020. Winners of the awards will receive a cash prize sponsored by Elsevier, Prosus and ADS, as well as present their thesis work at the ADS Highlight Event in December.
The awards for the best theses are given in the two categories, BSc and MSc. We take a broad view of applicable research, including, but not limited to:
- computer systems
- artificial intelligence
- data management
- life sciences
- social sciences
- digital humanities
- business intelligence and processes
September 15th, 2020 September 22nd, 2020
Award Decision: A minimum of 3 weeks before the ADS Highlights Event (Nov 15th, 2020)
Award ceremony: ADS Highlights Event, December, 2020
Eligibility and the Selection Process
Eligibility criteria are:
- The thesis work must have been supervised and supported by a faculty member of one of the ADS university partners (AUAS (HvA), UvA, or VU).
- The thesis must have been completed in the preceding 18 months before the submission deadline. Hence, for this cycle, it must have been completed between March 16th, 2019 and September 15th 2020.
The thesis supervisor will directly nominate the thesis with an accompanying letter articulating its merits. Nominate now!
We specifically encourage nominations for thesis work by women and underrepresented minorities. We take a broad and diverse view which includes (but not limited to) race, gender, different abilities, socioeconomic, cultural, and immigration backgrounds.
Should your nominated candidate fall within these groups please provide a paragraph within your nomination letter stating as such.
The required documents for a valid nomination are:
- The thesis (PDF), including:
– name of the student and the supervisor
– the official date of completion or defense
- One page nomination letter (PDF), mentioning:
– the grade of the thesis
– the percentile in the course
– how the thesis meets the evaluation criteria (see above for criteria)
– if your candidate falls within an underrepresented group
All thesis submissions will be judged on how they advance Data Science and/or AI through:
- Innovative scientific and technical contributions;
- High societal and economical impact from the findings and results of the thesis;
- Promotion of open science via FAIR data principles, and the availability of high-quality open-source code, results, traces, frameworks, etc.
For more details please check the Thesis Awards page.