ADS Drinks & Data – Event Report
On Friday 09 December, Amsterdam Data Science (ADS) hosted an event aimed at:
- Showcasing the Highlights of 2016 from the ADS partners and
- Looking forward to new collaborations in 2017
The event kicked-off with ADS director Maarten de Rijke giving an overview of the key 2016 outcomes from ADS, for example:
- The establishment of Amsterdam School of Data Science
- 7 strategic data science research labs
- 4 network partners across the globe
Following on from this there were 6 short presentations (less than 5 minutes each) covering multiple disciplines:
- Business Analytics, Cities, Digital Humanities, Health, Informatics, and Life Sciences
To celebrate what has been achieved in 2016.
Followed by 5 presentations from those that we are keen to partner with and collaborate more closely with in 2017:
- Air France-KLM, Gemeente Amsterdam, Information Law (IViR) UvA, Network of Dutch War Resources, and Social Sciences VU.
In between, there was active participation from the audience, over 100 people attended.
Afterwards drinks and snacks were served enabling further network and collaboration opportunities.
The Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and Data Science Center (DSC) of the University of Amsterdam (UvA) are joining forces in a new joint fellowship for (teams of) researchers interested in exploring the intersection of data science and other disciplines. The first fellow of the new program, Dr. Davide Ceolin, will start his fellowship at the IAS on June 17. Ceolin is currently affiliated with CWI.
Nanda Piersma, lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences (AUAS), has been appointed as a crown member of the Social and Economic Counsil (SER). This is the first time that a lecturer has been appointed as member of the SER. Nanda Piersma was approached because of her expertise in the field of digitisation.