VU University Amsterdam, De Boelelaan, Buitenveldert-West, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Past ADS Event: ADS Research Assistant Projects Kick-off Meeting
Aim of the event: ADS has recently awarded funding for 8 research assistant projects across the ADS partners (CWI, HvA, UvA, VU). We will hold a Kick-off Meeting where each project will present their project plans briefly. The projects span multiple research disciplines and knowledge institutions. Please join us to participate and see how you may be able to connect with our researchers and projects. This will be followed by a presentation from Frank van Harmelen on research methods and how best to structure and formulate research questions.
Room F654, W&N Building VU Amsterdam
1000-1005: Introduction Patricia Lago (ADS Internal Connections)
1005-1105: Each ADS Research Assistant to present their project overview & plans (see list below, 5-7 minutes on each project)
1105-1115: Coffee Break
1115-1135: Presentation from Frank van Harmelen on research methods and how to best structure and formulate research questions
1135-1145: Discussion and close chaired by Patricia Lago
Amsterdam Data Science accelerates data science research by connecting, sharing and showcasing world-class technology, expertise and talent from Amsterdam on a regional, national and international level. Our research enables business and society to better gather, store, analyse and present data in order to gain valuable insights and make informed decisions.
ADS has recently awarded funding for 8 research assistant projects across the ADS partners.
• Title: Exploiting free text in patient records to derive healthcare quality indicators. Presented by Research Assistant: Robert-Jan Bruintjes. Project Leaders: Annette ten Teije (VU), Roel Lakmaker and Lydia Mennes (CTcue)
• Title: Medical Information Extraction: from patient dossiers to structured forms. Project Leaders: Evangelos Kanoulas (IvI, UvA), Lydia Mennes (CTcue)
• Title: Deep Learning with Optimal Spatial Scale Selection. Project Leaders: Steven Scholte (FMG, UvA), Sander Bohte (CWI)
• Title: Multimodal evidence of concept drift. Project Leaders: Desmond Elliott (ILLC, UvA), Laura Hollink (CWI)
• Title: The RDF Unified Migration Portal. Presented by Research Assistants: Dimitris Alivas and Francesca Ceolan. Project Leaders: Rinke Hoekstra and Albert Meroño Peñuela (Computer Science, VU), Auke Rijpma (International Institute of Social History, Amsterdam)
• Title: Crowd Management with Social Media (CroM-SoM). Presented by Research Assistants: Maartje Kruijt & Ahmad Kabakibi. Project Leaders: Kathrin Dentler (Computer Science, VU), Hannes Muhleisen (CWI)
• Title: Data Science Driven Journalism. Project Leaders: Maarten Marx (IvI, UvA), Dimitri Tokmetzis (Dagblad De Correspondent, Amsterdam)
• Title: Measuring and Improving City Livability. Presented by Research Assistant: Guido Jansen. Project Leaders: Wouter Meys (Citizen Data Lab, HvA), Stevan Rudinac and Marcel Worring (IvI, UvA)