In 2015, the UvA and VU Executive Boards awarded 3M€ funding for Data Science from the Amsterdam Academic Alliance (AAA) to the UvA and VU science faculties
The committee agreed that the application ‘Sets out a positive and vital initiative that will build on existing UvA-VU collaborations and forge the necessary connections between various disciplines that are each studying the emerging phenomenon of large datasets from their own perspectives’.
AAA is a joint initiative of the UvA and VU, aimed at intensifying collaboration with each other and with other knowledge institutions in the region. The objective is to cement Amsterdam’s position as a major international player and hub of academic excellence. AAA is led by Maarten de Rijke and Frank van Harmelen, has 16 dedicated postdocs and PhD students and, since starting, has secured an additional 1.5M€ in external funding. The postdocs/PhD’s are supervised jointly by project leaders from UvA and VU demonstrating the close relationship established between the two universities.
AAA brings together over 35 tenured from five Amsterdam academic institutions: UvA; VU; CWI; HvA; VUmc. At the UvA and VU alone, 11 departments are involved: UvA: Informatics, Business, Communications, Humanities and Life Sciences; VU: Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Medicinal Chemistry, Economics and Business and Humanities. Additionally, there are two industry partners: ORTEC and Philips
4. Innovation and Data Science: Generating knowledge on the success factors of mobile apps
8. Citizen Data Science
9. From Data to Semantics and Back Again PhD: Benno Kruit
11. Data-driven lifestyle support through smart devices Postdoc: Bart A. Kamphorst
13. Integration of Phenotypic Drug Efficacy and Molecular Chemogenomics Data PhD: George Kanev. Publications: KLIFS: a structural kinase-ligand interaction database. Nucleic Acids Res 2016.
14. Network-Based Data Integration Postdoc: Frans van der Kloet